The Sanskrit word for digestive fire is agni. It is the very source of life and longevity. According to the Vedas, the Ayurvedic texts, it is said that a man is as old as his agni. When agni is extinguished, we die. This teaches us that weakened digestion is at the root of every imbalance and disease.
Why cleanse? Unhealthy or irregular dietary habits, unmanaged and accumulated stress, unsupportive relationships, inactive lifestyles, and environmental toxins can challenge your body’s ability to digest food properly. A weak digestive system results in the accumulation of ama, or toxins, that cause imbalances, disease, and premature aging. Your digestion is a true reflection of your mental-emotional-physical state of balance or imbalance. A few signs of a stressed digestive system and accumulation of toxins are fatigue and lack of motivation, mental fogginess and forgetfulness, recurring infections and illnesses, and weight gain. Look at the questions below to see how you really feel. If you answer “yes” to more than half of the statements below, you may have poor digestion, and it is time to consider an Ayurvedic health makeover and cleanse.
- When I wake up in the morning, I feel tired and unclear, and I need time to feel awake.
- In the morning, my tongue is often coated with a thick film.
- I feel or have obstruction/blockages in my body (constipation, congestion, fogginess).
- I often suffer from indigestion or heartburn.
- I tend to feel heaviness or fatigue in the body.
- I tend to feel tired or exhausted both mentally and physically.
- I get common colds (flues, sinus problems) several times a year.
- I tend to feel that my body is not functioning properly (breathing, digestion, elimination, other)
- I tend to feel lazy and unmotivated to do much.
- I tend to spit often or have a bad taste in my mouth.
- I often have no real appetite, and food really doesn’t taste all that appealing.
We will discuss the importance of digestion to build a deeper understanding and appreciation of an Ayurvedic lifestyle. This Ayurvedic workshop will introduce you to practical tools to ignite your digestive fire for a healthier, happier lifestyle. We will also go over the phases and practices for an effective cleanse.
This workshop will include:
- Brief over view of the doshas: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha
- Food as medicine–how nature, climate, season, and stages of life play a part in health
- How balance can best be restored, improving wellness and vitality
- General daily practices: food combining, balanced food, and daily routine for a cleanse
Outline for the cleanse:
Phase #1: Clean it up! Start cutting out all processed foods, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, and excess. Three meals a day. Will include introducing basic food recommendations for the season, recipes, daily routine, and lifestyle practices. Portion sizing and timing of meals, what to notice when you eat, and foods that create energy, stimulate and dull our digestive systems.
Phase #2: Tuning into the rhythms of life. Clear out the ama and balance the body’s pH: the by-product of poor digestion and root cause of disease. Eliminate the “cut out” foods in phase #1. More specific recommendations for foods to prepare for Phase #3 and practices to create support.
Phase #3: The Cleanse: Simple mono diet. Keep it simple.
Phase #4: Introduce foods that promote strong digestion, longevity, and build Ojas (vitality of life)
Phase #5: Rejuvenation and vitality practices. Now it’s up to you!
**Attending the Ayurveda Life Style Workshop is recommended to know the basics of Ayurveda but not necessary to do the cleanse.
**Private sessions are an option for a more detailed cleanse according to your specific imbalances and constitution.